On March 8 every year we celebrate International Women’s Day, originally called International Working Women’s Day, and today is no different. It honours the struggle for women’s rights, celebrates countless achievements of women and marks a call to action for accelerating gender equality.
For International Women’s Day 2017, we’re asking you to #BeBoldForChange.
I wanted to share a few powerful quotes which might inspire you to be braver, bolder, want to act or simply be proud of the woman you are today.
1. “A feminist is anyone who recognizes the equality and full humanity of women and men.” – Gloria Steinem
2. “We cannot all succeed when half of us are held back.” – Malala Yousafzai
3. “In politics, if you want anything said, ask a man. If you want anything done, ask a woman.” – Margaret Thatcher
4. “For I conclude that the enemy is not lipstick, but guilt itself; we deserve lipstick, if we want it, AND free speech; we deserve to be sexual AND serious – or whatever we please. We are entitled to wear cowboy boots to our own revolution.” -Naomi Wolf
5. “At the end of the day, don’t forget that you are a person, don’t forget you are a mother, don’t forget you are a wife, don’t forget you are a daughter.” – Indra Nooyi
6. “The education and empowerment of women throughout the world cannot fail to result in a more caring, tolerant, just and peaceful life for all.” -Aung San Suu Kyi
7. “Beauty is about being comfortable in your own skin. It’s about knowing and accepting who you are.” – Ellen DeGeneres
8. “Don’t let anyone tell you you’re weak because you’re a woman.” – Mary Kom
10. “There is no limit to what we, as women, can accomplish.” – Michelle Obama
12. “In the future, there will be no female leaders. There will just be leaders.” – Sheryl Sandberg13. “There is only ONE sign that a woman wants to have sex and that is that she says YES.” – Deepika Padukone
14. “I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own.” – Audre Lorde
If you’d like to get involved today, here’s a link to various events happening around London.
Happy International Women’s Day!
Photo credit: Google